Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Dog Days Of Summer

I am a terrible mother. I have no good photos to upload to this blog and I still can't seem to get the one from our Florida trip to load properly.
We got some good news last week, finally. I have been battling USCIS over Kuri's status since last July (yes, for a full year). We never got her green card or her welcome letter when we brought her home last March. It turns out that her sealed brown envelope that we handed over at the airport never made it into their hands. Kind of makes me wonder where it did end up, but I'm not going to worry about that right now. Anyways, I have contacted them numerous times since we filed the N-600 to check the status and would get different information every time I called. One July 1st I made another dreaded phone call hoping for some news. They said her case was still pending and they would have someone contact me within 30 days. I hung up, frustrated, as usual. Would you believe that very day a letter arrived telling us to report to the Irving office at the end of the month for her Certificate of Citizenship ceremony! I can't tell you how excited I am that I can finally put the adoption file away and not have to worry about it anymore!!
So, if anyone reading this is in Texas and have not traveled yet, I would highly advise that DFW International Airport not be your port of entry. I'm sure our case was a fluke, but we did have to wait over two hours when we got off that plane just to have her passport stamped at the counter.
Oh well, life goes on here. We are enjoying swimming almost every day and had a blast hosting a party a couple of weeks ago for local Gladney families who have adopted or are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. We had nearly 40 people here. It was so much fun! Again, forgive me for not posting pictures. We should have coordinated a group photo. Maybe next time!
Hopefully more soon.
Thanks for reading!

No comments: